Total Pageviews

Tuesday 8 January 2013

A day living by Rituals



A BOX FULL OF PAMPERED GOODIES


When Rituals approached me with the idea of living their brand for 24 hours, I didn’t have to think too long. The thought of being ‘ritualised’ for a day didn’t seem much of a chore. I first blogged about Rituals as a concept around 18 months ago. Before then, I have to admit it was one of those stores that passed me by in the shopping mall. But digging deeper, I fell in love with their philosophy that small, daily cultural routines can be turned into meaningful rituals through the use of gorgeous smells and sensations. Routines can be quickly turned into something more creative and enjoyable from drinking your tea to driving in your car.
 


Before I do my Bridget Jones thing, can I just say I’m never faithful to a brand as a whole. I don’t go in for signature lines, I like to dip in and out of different brands, so if there was a challenge, this was it. Setting up my working week, I began the Rituals routine Monday morning.

6.30am Wake up to the dulcet tones of the radio gleefully telling me about dull weather and tube delays. Husband brings me breakfast in bed (I know I’m lucky!) and I rally round with a bowl of porridge and head for the shower. Usually I’m in and out in 5 minutes, but this morning I have a lingering affair with Fujiyama Mandarin & Mint foaming shower gel sensation, £7.  As soon as the water hits the gel, it turns into refreshing foam which cocoons the body, turning the whole shower into some soft of aromatic pleasure dome! A Touch of Heaven Body Cream laced with Organic Sweet Orange and Cedar, £15 was next. In the pot it looks a little bit too creamy for the morning, but it’s deceivingly light and easy to apply. It’s a warm fragrance too, just the touch for still dark mornings.

7.15am It’s now time to face perking up a sleepy looking complexion. As mentioned on a previous post, I always sleep on a silk pillow which helps rid pillow creases enormously and takes out any heavy duty rubbing with a cleanser in the hope they will quickly fade! Using the Sensationally Soft Cleanser, £11.50 there’s no rubbing to be had. The gel effortlessly melts into oil on the skin and then switches into a cleansing lotion. My skin felt soothed and well hydrated. A lover of serums, I use Intense Moisture Serum, £25.50 with Hyaluronic Acid which helps retain water to keep skin looking bouncy. Line Defence Eye Cream, £22.50 was next with a helpful anti-ageing complex and finally Essential Anti-Ageing Day Cream, £25.50. It was slightly too fragranced for my liking, but nevertheless left my skin sufficiently hydrated.

LUXURIOUS FEELING ANTI-AGING DAY CREAM

7.45am I leave the house for the crushed commute. I usually walk to the station, but seeing as I’ve been sent a car perfume, £7.50 I thought I would road test it by driving to the station car park. Apart from an out-of-date pine tree hanging on the mirror cab style, I’m not one for car fragrance, but this is a revelation! The Cherry Blossom & Rice Milk Life is a Journey car perfume, £7.50 floods the car with a delicious scent that makes me feel happy. I even let another car whip in and steal my parking space without a hint of road rage!

8am Sandwiched onto the central line, I rummage through my bag for QI Stress Relief Serum whereby I pump out the Chinese Mint serum and apply, as suggested to my temples and the back of my neck. I tempt a few side glances, but the smell is really uplifting which goes someway in ignoring a rucksack jammed into my back. Switching onto the even more crowded Northern Line, I go for the handbag rescue again and pull out my White Patchouli & Cedar Wood Eau de Parfum Travel, £15. Its slide inside the luxury perfume holder, £13 and looks very sleek and metropolitan. A few quick spritzs makes me feel human again.
TRAVEL SIZE FRAGRANCE MAKES A PERFUMED COMMUTE

9am Upon getting into work, I put the kettle on for a brew. But not any old brew, Jasmine Delight – a mash-up of green tea and jasmine, £5. I do like a high quality tea, and usually go for Teapigs, but these pyramid shaped tea bags really cut the mustard and are cheaper! They’re on my shopping list from today. Monday mornings are always busy, what with meetings, emails and phone calls to make, so I set up the mini home fragrance sticks Under a Fig Tree, £11 on my desk. Soon everyone is commenting on the ‘exotic’ smell and the frantic smell of Monday mornings seemingly disappears.

MY NEW BREW

7pm Once  home, I hit the gym – yes, I’m one for punishment, and comfort myself with the thought that tonight I will be having a Wu Wei Organic White Lotus & Green Tea calming cream bath, £11.50 – candyfloss froth and soft skin guaranteed along with an Intensive Moisturising Mask, £13.50 for supple, yoga like skin. After dinner, I light Under a Fig Tree Candle, £16.50 which gives a relaxing sweet and earthy scent to the room.

11pm Upon flopping into bed I moisturise with Deep Recovery Night Cream, £24.50 – FYI my skin felt wonderful supple next morning, and spritzed the Organic White Lotus calming bed and body mist onto myself. Unfortunately it’s no aphrodisiac for my husband who shies away from the smell. But, hey you can’t win them all, and the thought of waking up again and going through the same ritual isn’t a bad thought at all.


 www.rituals.com





1 comment: